This post will help you to fix your Brave browser not opening or functioning on Windows 11/10. The affected users claim that if you experience this problem on your computer, it could be one of these symptoms:
- After double-clicking its shortcut, the Brave browser doesn’t launch.
- The Brave browser displays either a white or black screen when it opens.
- Brave opens in a matter of seconds, then closes itself automatically.
Brave was opened by some users as administrators. Brave browser did not have bookmarks or other data.
Brave browser does not open or work on Windows 11/10
These solutions might help:
- The Whitelist Brave browser is available in Windows Defender and third-party anti-virus Firewall.
- In Brave, disable Hardware Acceleration.
- You can add or remove flags from the Brave Browser shortcut.
- Reset Brave or Reinstall it
These troubleshooting techniques will be discussed in detail.
1] Whitelist Brave browser for Windows Defender and third-party antivirus Firewall
Antivirus programs are all run in the background, providing users with instant protection against threats. These programs can sometimes trigger false alarms or block software. It is possible your antivirus Firewall prevents the Brave browser opening and working correctly. It is recommended that you whitelist Brave in Windows Defender Firewall and any third-party antivirus.
2. Turn off Hardware Acceleration within Brave browser settings
Whitelisting the Brave browser on Firewall doesn’t solve the problem, you can try turning off Hardware Acceleration from Brave browser settings.
These are the steps:
- Right-click the Brave shortcut to open Properties.
- Select the Shortcut tab.
disable-gpuin the box beside Target. This text must be entered outside of the quotations. For more information, see the screenshot above.
- Next, click OK and apply. The Brave browser should now be launched.
- Double-click the Brave browser shortcut in order to open it. Once you have launched the Brave browser click the three horizontal lines at the top of the screen and choose Settings.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and expand the Advanced Settings. Choose System.
- The ” Use Hardware Acceleration when Available” button should be turned off. To allow the changes to take effect, relaunch Brave.
Close the Brave browser and remove
-disable-gpuin the Target path of Brave browser properties.
This will resolve the problem.
3] Remove or add a flag to the Brave browser shortcut
This fix is recommended if the problem persists after you have disabled the Hardware Acceleration feature in Brave Browser. You can add or remove flags from your Brave browser shortcut. These are the steps:
- Check the Task Manager to see if Brave is currently running in the background. If the answer is yes, you can kill this task.
- Make a folder empty in any place on your computer.
- Right-click the Brave shortcut to open Properties.
Click on the Shortcut tab and type
--user-data-dir="location of the folder that you have created"at the end of the path mentioned in the box next to the Target.
- Next, click Apply.
- Double-click the Brave shortcut. This will launch the browser.
Your problem has been resolved if the Brave browser launches properly. Close the Brave browser, and then kill any background tasks using the Task Manager. Next, go back to step 3. Next, click Apply, then OK.
4. Reset/Reinstall Brave
Try resetting your Brave browser to see if it helps. This is how it works.
If you are unable to resolve your problem with the above solutions, the browser may not have been installed properly or the files of some users might be corrupted. Reinstalling Brave may be an option. However, before you reinstall it, delete the Bravebrowser folder.
Please follow the below instructions:
1.) Open File Explorer. Click on the address bar, and then type in the path. Then, hit Enter.
Please note, in the path above you will need to enter your username before AppData.
2.) Select Bravebrowser to delete.
3.) Launch the Control Panel, and then go to ” Programms > Features and Programs.”
4.) Search for Brave browser under the installed programs. Right-click the Brave browser and choose Uninstall. To uninstall Brave, follow the instructions on the screen.
5.) Download and install the most recent Brave browser installation from the official site.
Please let us know if you have any questions.
What is the best way to update Brave on Windows?
These instructions will assist you in updating Brave browser for Windows 10.
- Start Brave browser.
- To the right, click on the horizontal lines.
- You can click about Brave.
Brave will then automatically check for updates and start installing them.
What can I do to restore my Brave browser
The default setting of Brave browser can be restored by restoring it. If your extensions or other settings have been changed, this option can be useful. If you’re unable to modify or delete saved bookmarks, passwords, and other settings of the Brave browser you may be able to reset it.
Below are the steps for restoring Brave browser to Windows 10.
- Open Brave browser.
- Select Settings by clicking on the three horizontal lines at the top of the right.
- Expand Other settings in the left pane
- Select the Reset Settings option.
- Click To restore settings to the original. A popup window asking you for confirmation will open when you click this option. Click To reset.
This is it.